Length of Line:
Number of Stations:
Alton, Hampshire, GU34 2PZ
Rail Experience Days:
The Mid Hants Railway 'Watercress Line' was saved from closure in the 1970s and the line re-opened to visitors in 1977. The railway was used to transport locally grown watercress to the markets at Covent Garden in London and beyond; from which it takes its name today.
5 REASONS TO VISIT:
1. At the peaceful country station of Medstead and Four Marks, we have the highest station in Southern England where the steep gradient of the line to this station means the Watercress Line needs a fleet of large, powerful steam locomotives capable of hauling heavy trains ‘over the Alps’ on the 1 in 60 climb.
2. Investigate our impressive engineering workshops where the locomotives and carriages are skilfully restored to their full glory and see preservation in action.
3. As a charity, your visit is supporting the restoration of part of our country’s heritage.
4. The ten mile route has four lovingly restored period stations across beautiful English countrside and the edge of the South Downs National park.
5. Hop on and off our trains all day with unlimited travel included in your ticket. Each station has a distinct character that is a delight to explore.
Throughout the year there are special events including a Day Out With Thomas, War on the Line and Steam Galas. There are popular pre-booked real ale and fine dining trains and pre-booked groups can enjoy a discounted journey with lunch or an afternoon cream tea on board. We also offer the ultimate gift - a driving and firing experience on one of our steam locos!